Commonly referred to as SmackDown Live, it is a pro wrestling competition hosted by the WWE. SmackDown is currently on its 18th season. The series began back in April of 1999. It has accumulated around 1,000 episodes in the series. The event typically airs on television on Thursday Nights. It is one of the WWE's two weekly programs. The only other weekly WWE program is WWE Raw.
The series has gone through many iconic stages. When the production originated they used the TitanTron entrance, commonly referred to as Ovaltron. The early star of SmackDown was Dwayne The Rock Johnson. He usually called SmackDown his show. The name of the series actually originated out of one of The Rock's catchphrases, "Layeth the smack down".
In 2002, the WWE divided itself into two divisions in order to help promote their brand. The divisions were SmackDown and Raw, the WWE's most prominent series. The brand division lasted until 2011. The episode following the dissolve of the division, SmackDown became the longest running weekly series in the television history of the United States. As of 2016, Vince McMahon named Shane McMahon the commissioner of SmackDown.
- Everybody on the Ground by Jim Johnston used 1999-2001
- The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson used 2001-2003
- I Want It All by Jim Johnston used 2003-2004
- Rise Up (Instrumental) by Jim Johnston used 2004
- Rise Up by Drowning Pool used 2004-2008
- If You Rock Like Me by Jim Johnston 2008-2009
- Let It Roll by Divide the Day used 2009-2010
- Know Your Enemy by Green Day used 2010-2012
- Born 2 Run by 7Lions used 2012-2014
- This Life by CFO$ used 2014-2015
- Centuries by Fall Out Boy used 2014 (15th Anniversary Show only)
- Black and Blue by CFO$ used 2015-2016
- Take a Chance by CFO$ used 2016-present
Induction into Merriam-Webster
On July, 2007 the word "smackdown" was inducted into Webster dictionary. The word is defined as: A decisive defeat, a content in entertainment, the act of knocking down an opponent, the act of bringing down an opponent, and a confrontation between rivals.
WWE SmackDown Schedule - 2018
The series is every Tuesday night, typically starting between 4-9pm EST. The venue location for the however is changed almost every week.
Don't miss your chance and buy your WWE SmackDown tickets at ScoreBig!